Cerca del contenuto nelle bacheche

Couey family origins?

Couey family origins?

Inviato: 7 nov 2006 2.33 GMT
Classificazione: Domanda
Cognomi: Couey
There are posts on this board from an Earl F. Couey who was investigating the possibility that William Couey/Cooey and his entourage had come from France. I see no mention of Mr. Couey or his research after 2001. Does anyone know if he reached a conclusion? Does anyone have a supportable argument for where the original Couey immigrants to America came from?

Re: Couey family origins?

J. Couey (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 5 dic 2006 3.17 GMT

Inviato: 7 set 2007 2.31 GMT
Cognomi: Couey, de Couey
Slim,
I've traced my line back to William Couey (Cooey) who was born in Ireland in 1735. According to Irish records, he married Jane or Janet in Derry (Northern) Ireland in 1752 before emigrating to Charleston in 1767. I believe that the Couey/Cooey family originated in France, some moving to Ireland, dates unknown. How far back that goes I'm not sure, although I stumbled on the story of a French Knight named de Couey who was part of the army of Richard the Lion Heart during the third crusade in 1190 A.D.

Inviato: 19 apr 2008 17.54 GMT
Hello, In the late 1990's to 2000 I had been in touch with Earl. He had given me a lot of info about my Couey line. He was the first to give a meaning to the name (tail) and the first to suggest origins in France. In 1999 I made a trip to Ireland and found NO examples of the Couey name in reference books in the Dublin records. Even though Earl stated that my line came from County Down in 1767 to Charleston, SC. Though they DEPARTED from Ireland and may have lived there for some time......they were not native Irish. It has been suggested they were actually Hugenots from France. At that time (1760's) many many persecuted Protestants were leaving Europe for the New World. From any Port they could get to. Even whole villages together or congregations travelled with their pastor to various ports, earning their passage in menial labor, flax spinning, or other skills. I believe the Coue' family came from the north coast of France, some may have come with the French troops to try and make Mary Queen of Scots the head of Britain instead of Queen Elizabeth. Normandy and Picardy are likely origins for the Coue' family groups. Earl had been planning a trip to Normandy to meet with some Couey people he had found there online. After many inquiries I have not heard from him anymore and wonder if he has passed on. He was a renouned linquist and was putting together a book of family history for his wife's native American clan...a monumental task as they had no written language. Years have passed and he no longer answers my emails. Whatever you are able to learn I would appreciate your sharing it.
My own Couey group as stated, arrived to Charleston, SC. in 1767 from the port of Newry, Ire. and there was William, and a woman Jane or Janet,supposed to be his wife. Another adult male without first name given, but a Couey. (adult includes upper teens). Also, 3 children, all male. John, William and Joseph. Earl's line descends from baby Joseph. My line descends from the young adult male Couey. He is supposed to be either William's elder son with an earlier deceased wife, OR his own younger brother. The child William was 12, John, 9 and Joseph 3 upon arrival.
This family applied for and received several hundred acres of land along a creek near Abbeville, SC. My ancestor or his next generation left Abbeville and settled directly south in Montgomery and Laurens Counties, Georgia. My next John Couey who fought in the War of 1812, married Betsey Gay (after first wife, Sally Frazer died) and they had many children. Several of their boys, including my ggrandfather, Henry fought in the Civil War. Henry later moved to Columbia County,Florida and raised his family there. But was married to Ellafair Howell from Dublin, Georgia. Ellafair's spinning wheel is in the museum in St. Augustine, Fl. I have seen their gravesites at Ft. White.
I have a cousin, descended from one of Henry's brothers,(Martin) who can send you a complete file of this line if it is of interest to you. Let me know. She's away right now, but will be back in a week. (April 19, 2008) Good Luck, "cousin" Kathryn

Inviato: 19 apr 2008 20.20 GMT
My mother's maiden name is Couey and from William's son, John C., born 1754. My group came from Abbeville, SC through Alabama to Florida.
Email: norrisdeborah@bellsouth.net
Have a blessed day.
Debbie

Inviato: 8 mag 2008 1.52 GMT
http://race-the-sunset.blogspot.com/2008/01/looking-to-past....

Hi Kathryn,
I enjoyed your post. About Earl, his wife had some health issues. I spoke to him by phone a few months ago and asked him to verify some information I had found, which was able to do, mostly. He couldn't tell me if the "de Couey, de Coucy" families in France were our descendants, since documentation back that far is hard to come by. Using some old history texts I found on the internet, I was able to locate the first mention of a de Couey in 948 A.D. I gathered a lot of information and put it in a post on my blog, the URL for which is above. the exact date for the move from France to Ireland is not known...yet. I did see another reference for a William Cooey who was born in 1704 in what is now Northern Ireland. The sketchy information suggests...suggests...that William was the father of William Couey, born 1735.

My line runs from this William, through Joseph (b 1764), Joseph S. (b8/14/1797), James Foster (b11/1871), William Graham (b12/27/1844), Ralph Emerson (b3/20/1891), Duane Emerson (b9/13/24) to me, Ralph Floyd (b5/23/55). I have a son, Robert Taketo (b8/31/79) who has a 20-month-old daughter. I kid him about making sure the next one is a boy in order to keep the line going, since he was the lone male alongside our three daughters. He just smiles.

Inviato: 9 feb 2009 3.13 GMT
My name is Terry Simmons, and my great grand mother was Mary Elizabeth Couey of Laurens Co. Ga. She Married Furman Kendrick Simmons about 1900, and is buried here in Jacksonville Fl. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. simmons3993@windstream.net

Inviato: 9 feb 2009 18.02 GMT
I stated in a previous that Mary Elizabeth Couey Married F.K. Simmons I meant to say she married Jordan A. Abbott. They had a daughter Allie Corneilia Abbott who married F.K. Simmons. Sorry about that. Regards, Terry

Inviato: 27 mag 2009 10.40 GMT
My name is William Wade Wehunt, my mother was Francina Couey born in Alamo, Ga.

Inviato: 12 ott 2010 6.18 GMT
Cognomi: Couey
Well Hello Wade, My name is Peggy Couey and my husband is Melvin Couey. His Daddy was Vernon Couey, Francina's was his sister!! I have been trying to contact you and your wife for a while to get some info from you. I am writing about Odius & Zelma Couey's descendants. As you know Vernon and Francina were two of their children. I finally connected with Delinda and your cousin Valorie. Please contact me. My e-mail is peggycouey@hotmail.com. I also have been trying to communicate with your wife on facebook, but haven't had any response. Hope to hear from you. I have plenty on this family.
per pagina

Trova una bacheca su un argomento specifico

• Gli altri nostri siti:

© 2007-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookie | Termini e Condizioni | Gestito da Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.