Cerca del contenuto nelle bacheche

dossey in limestone co. texas

dossey in limestone co. texas

Inviato: 2 dic 2003 20.43 GMT
Classificazione: Domanda
Modificato: 2 dic 2006 17.11 GMT
Cognomi: Dossey
Still looking for info on Dossey's in limestone Co. Texas.
Joseph Morgan Dossey would be my 3rd. great grandfather. His daughter Joanna would be my 2nd great grandmother. Any info would be great.

Re: dossey in limestone co. texas

Carol H. Ackley (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 3 dic 2003 16.23 GMT
My information shows Joseph Morgan Dossey to be the 5th child of William Greenberry Dossey and his Cherokee Indian Wife (no name on marriage license except "Indian Maiden").
He was born 18 Dec 1824 in Morgan County, Alabama. Married Mary C. Coingan on 17 Dec 1843 in Hempstead Co, Arkansas, died in Limestone County, TX (I have no date on this). Buried in the LaSalle Cemetery in Limestone Co., TX.

My information shows Joanna to be the 6th child of Joseph Morgan and Mary C. Coingan Dossey. She was born in 1863 in Texas and married W. E. Doherty on 12 Sep 1878 in Limestone Co., TX.

I have quite a lot of information on the Dosseys. My gg-grandfather was William Greenberry Dossey Jr and his lst wife, Nancy Kelley. William Greenberry Dossey Jr. was the 3rd child of William Greenberry Dossey and his Indian Maiden wife. William Greenberry Dossey Jr stayed in Arkansas when most of the other family members migrated to Limestone, Atascosa, etc. TX.

There is a fairly good family genealogy available on these Dosseys who migrated to Texas. Fortunately the Dosseys have been researching the descendants of William Greenberry Dossey and his Indian Maiden Wife for a very long time and there is a lot of information available.

Their children in birth order are: Mary (Polly) who married James W. Briscoe; Thomas Franklin who married Lavina Elizabeth Curry; William Greenberry Jr who married Nancy Kelley and then Charity Brock Stell; Greenberry William who married Nancy Curry; Joseph Morgan who married Mary C. Coingan; Melchiger; Elizabeth who married Erbin Sharp; and finally Sarah.

What I would love to know is where Nancy Kelley Dossey is buried in Arkansas. I know that William Greenberry Dossey is buried near the Blue Bayou Church of Christ which he helped establish. His second wife, Charity Brock Stell Dossey is buried in Dale, OK where she lived with one of the 5 sons she had with William Greenberry Dossey.

If anyone has additional information or corrections to the above, would appreciate a correction.

Inviato: 3 dic 2003 17.04 GMT
Cognomi: dossey
I thought Mary might have beeen Joanna's mother, but I was never sure. The only info of what I have is from census records and other peoples info. Joanna and William had a Daughter Mollie Mae and she is my great grandmother. Her daughter, my grandmother does not know of her family on the Dossey/Daughtrey(the spelling changes alot). Thank you so much for sharing your info. I am really intrested in finding out all of Joanna's and William's childrens names. Have you found any info on Joanna's sister Polly? On some info I came across, it said that she was blind. In the 1870 census in Limestone Polly is living with her sister Mary Jane Dossey Potter and Benjamin F. Potter. Also on the 1870 census Joseph Morgan, Jane, William Greenberry, Joseph Morgan, John, Joanna, Sarah and James are in another household.
I really don't have a lot of info. Thank you for responding.
Shanna

Inviato: 3 dic 2003 17.58 GMT
The children I have listed for Joseph Morgan and Mary Dossey are:

James born 1845 Sevier Co, Ark, Mary J (Polly) born 1847 Sevier Co, Ark; William Greenberry born 1849 Sevier Co, AR; Joseph Morgan born 1853 TX; John born 1859 TX; Joanna born 1863 TX; Sarah E born 1865 TX and James M born 1868 TX.

Have heard but never confirmed that the reason the William Greenberry name was so popular in all branches and generations of the family is that their ancestor William Greenberry Dossey fought in the Revolutionary War.

I have some more information on the Limestone Co TX Dosseys but cannot find the paperwork right now -- will look again and let you know what I find.

Inviato: 3 dic 2003 20.46 GMT
There is a Polly Ann Dossey listed with Benjamin and Mary Jane Dossey Potter in the 1870 census in Limestone Co. Texas. Polly Ann's age is listed as 7yrs. The same age as Joanna Dossey in the previous household. So where does Polly Ann fit in with Joseph Morgans children? I f you go to the 1870 census, Ancestry has their name as Patter. On Ancestry it is image 125. Thanks for you info.
Shanna

Inviato: 3 dic 2003 23.42 GMT
Shanna, The information which I have shows Mary J. (Polly) Dossey (daughter of Joseph Morgan and Mary C. Coingan Dossey) as married to Jim Dewey. This Mary J. (Polly) Dossey was born in 1847 in Sevier Co, AR and would have been 23 in the 1870 census. Perhaps the Polly Ann you are looking for is the daughter of this Mary J. (Polly).

The Dosseys named their children after themselves, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.

Wish I could provide you with more information but can't find the piece I was looking for at this time.

Inviato: 4 dic 2003 19.45 GMT
Have you tried looking on the Pike Co. Archives and History Society web page, and Arkansas Connection web page? I looked there, but never could find Nancy Kelley Dossey's exact date of death or where she died. I did see that her est. time of deathe was between 1860-1866 in Sevier Co AR. Was Thomas K. Dossey related to William G. Dossey? Thomas K. Dossey was the County Clerk for Pike Co. AR. On one of the sites it also stated from church records that Nancy Dossey was a charter member of The Old Antioch Church of Christ. The Kelley name was everywhere in Pike Co. AR. Well I hope to help you some more. Thanks.
Shanna
Polly Ann Dossey listed with Mary Jane and Benjamin Potter had the last name as Dossey. She was 7 yrs. If you look at the 1870 census in Ancestry they list Potter as Patter, so you will have to spell it as Patter. It is image 125 on ancestry.com

Inviato: 4 dic 2003 23.05 GMT
Thomas K. Dossey was the brother of William Greenberry Dossey SR who eventually migrated to Limestne Co., TX.

Don't know when a Thomas K. Dossey was county clerk for Pike Co. but it could have been his brother or his nephew if Thomas K. Dossey had a son.

William Greenberry Dossey named his son, Thomas F. Dossey, after his brother.

Paula Wilcox (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 24 feb 2004 17.48 GMT
do you have the marriage record in your possession? If so can I get a copy of it. I will gladly pay. Where did you find this record. We have been looking for a couple of years

Carol H. Ackley (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 24 feb 2004 22.00 GMT
Hi Paula. I do not have a copy of this marriage license. I got the information from Charles Dossey who lives in Leavenworth, Kansas. He and his wife, Carolyn, did some excellent genealogy work on the Dossey quite a few years ago and I am fortunate to have a copy.

The information I have says they were married in Franklin Co., TN. I would also check in Morgan Co., Ala where William Greenberry Dossey was a Primitive Baptist minister. The year was 1806. If you cannot find the marriage license in either of those counties and states, you can contact the State Archives in those two states to see if they might have that information. That is how I finally found the marriage bond on another side of my family -- by contacting the State Archives in Kentucky and they had retained all of these historical records for the State of Kentucky. Have not worked directly with Tennessee or Alabama but you might be able to find the same there.

If you actually find the marriage license, I would also like to have a copy and would be happy to share in the cost of the research to find it.

per pagina

Trova una bacheca su un argomento specifico

• Gli altri nostri siti:

© 2007-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookie | Termini e Condizioni | Gestito da Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.