Cerca del contenuto nelle bacheche

Light or LIcht or Leight

Light or LIcht or Leight

Inviato: 21 lug 2002 2.08 GMT
Classificazione: Ricerca
Cognomi: Light, Leight, Licht
Is there any way of finding out when the German Lights came to the United States, or from which part of Germany they came? Also is their any Jewish-German Lights. I understand that the name was changed in the united States from either Licht or Leight to Light.

Thank you for any help yo may give me.

Harriet Light

Re: Light or LIcht or Leight

Inviato: 22 lug 2002 19.00 GMT
Classificazione: Domanda
I believe that the Licht family name could have originated either in Austria or Gemany. Some who went to England changed it to Light. I believe one of George Washington´s great-grandfather was a Light.

Harriet Light (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 23 lug 2002 7.21 GMT
Cognomi: Light or Licht or Leight

So are you then saying that the German Lights and the English Lights are actaully the same family? If so how do I find their connections?

Licht in Kurhessen/Hessen-Kassel

Wolfg. G. Fischer (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 8 ott 2002 8.27 GMT
There were Licht-families in Hessen-Kassel/Kurhessen. You could ask the Hessian state archive in Marburg (email: poststelle@stama.hessen.de), whether some of them are mentioned in their emigration lists.

Re: Licht in Kurhessen/Hessen-Kassel

Inviato: 8 ott 2002 17.00 GMT
Cognomi: Leight/Licht
Thank you Mr. Fischer, for your very kind and helpful reply. I intend to contact the Hessian State Archive immediately. Do you know the origins or any information regarding the "Licht" surname. Was it used by eastern or western European Jews, do you know?

Thanks again.

Harriet Light

Licht

Wolfg. G. Fischer (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 9 ott 2002 6.40 GMT
There are various interpretations. The most probable is that a "Licht" was a "Lichtzieher", that means, a man, who produces candles.

I never got information about a Jewish surname "Licht", but it is possible, especially in eastern Europe.

Re: Licht

Inviato: 9 ott 2002 21.07 GMT
Cognomi: Light, Leicht, Leight. Licht

Once again I thank you for your response. My father had told me one time that our last name had been changed from Licht or Leight to Light, but I have been unable to find at what time or from which location that took place. My father was definately of German origin, but when I was a child I never thought to ask where.

Thank you,

Harriet Light

Inviato: 15 ott 2002 2.11 GMT
My ancestor, John Simon Leight, was born in Saxony, Germany and lived near Winston-Salem, North Carolina around 1800. He was a craftsman, well known for his clocks and spinning wheels. He was a Moravian and lived in the Moravian settlement of (Old) Salem until he was kicked out because he refused to marry the woman that had been chosen for him. Instead, he married my ggggrandmother, Sarah Ripple, daughter of Henry Ripple, also a native of Germany. If you think you have a connection to my ancestor, please send me an email.

Inviato: 9 set 2003 15.52 GMT
Johannes Licht (John Light) came to Philadelphia in 1738 on the "Winter Galley" from the Palatinate.

Birgit Wöstefeld (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 12 gen 2004 16.12 GMT
Hallo,
my grandgrandgrandmother was Catharina Elisabeth Licht, born 19.10.1823. Her husband was Johannes Heinz. They lived in Germany, Hessen. I think the town was Sorga, Bad Hersfeld. I only know that from the family of her husband two persons immigrated to the USA. Perhaps of her family, too.
If you have any informations, please let me know.
Best wishes
Birgit Wöstefeld
per pagina

Trova una bacheca su un argomento specifico

© 2007-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookieTermini e CondizioniGestito da Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.