Interested in connecting with descendants of John Frederick Luke, Hessian soldier (originally Johann Friedrich Luecke) of Grosselbe (now Elbe) Duchy of Brunswick (Germany), born ca. 1752, died 15 Dec 1839. Captured after Rev. War battles of Bennington and Saratoga and deserted in 1778. Married Elizabeth (Betsey, Betty) Stone ca. 1778, known to have lived in Windsor County, Vermont from 1783 to 1799, a total of 16 land transactions recorded there, then in New York and finally Province of Ontario, Canada. Family consisted of:
1. John Jr. born 19 Jun 1779 Woodstock, VT, md. Polly Pelton, lived in South Gower, Ontario, Canada but according to 1861 Can. census had returned to US. Known to have had "numerous children" as stated on his peitition for land. Signed Oath of Allegiance 21 Feb 1805. Died 1865.
2. David Luke born 12 Jan 1781 Woodstock VT. Served in Benedidt's Regiment, NY Militia, War of 1812. Unknown if he married but appears on 1810 US census for German Flats, Herkimer Co. NY with 2 males and 1 female aged 16-26 and on 1820 US census alone.
3. Lucy born 5 Oct 1782 Woodstock VT. Md. Gardiner Gustin 5 Jul 1804 German Flats NY. She died 20 Nov 1857 Bath, Steuben Co., NY. Children: John, Lucy, George Washington, Phoebe, Sarah, Lucy, Charles, Ann, GIles. Family appears on 1820 and 1830 censuses for Hamilton Twp, Madison Co. NY. Land records in Madison Co. courthouse in Wampsville NY.
4. Elizabeth born ca. 1784, probably Woodstock VT. Md. Abram (Abraham) Moon. Two children: William and Abraham Willis both born US. Family moved to Osgoode, Russell Co., Ontario, Canada where Elizabeth died 12 Jun 1856. Purchased Lot 36, Conc. 1, Osgoode Twp on 9 Mar 1846.
5. Benjamin born ca. 1786 probably Reading VT. Md. Lydia Fuller. Died young and widow remarried. Children unknown. Census for Hamilton Twp Madison Co. NY shows Benjamin living near John Luke Sr., Levi Luke, Gardiner Gustin and Abraham Moon.
6. Levi born 20 Jan 1788 Reading VT. Md. Silence Brown 12 Jul 1812 Frankfort, NY. Levi died 26 Oct 1854 aged 60 and is buried with many family members in the Amboy Center Cemetery, Oswego Co. NY. It should be noted that a memorial stone to John Luke Sr. and wife Betsey Luke was erected in this cemetery by grandson Lewis D. Luke, Levi's son. Children: Betsey Stone, John, Lewis D., Marcus, Sally, Cynthia and Mary Jane Luke.
7. Abel born 20 Jul 1791/92 Reading, VT. Md. Laura A. Lamphier 1 Sep 1816. Abel died 29 Mar 1856, he and his wife are buried in Rock Creek Cemetery, Morgan Twp., Ashtabula Co., Ohio. Children: Abel L, Albert S., Elijah S. and Mary Elizabeth
8. Hannah born 20 Apr 1794 Reading VT. Md. William Beach in Aug 1822. Family lived in South Gower, Ontario, Canada. Hannah died 7 May 1871, she and husband buried in South Gower Cemetery. Children were Benjamin Frederick, Solomon, George, Hannah, Sanford W. 1851 census for South Gower shows John Luke Sr.'s widow, Betsey Luke, aged 88, born in US, living with dtr. Hannah and family.
9. Sarah born 1796 Reading Vt. Md. David Beach, brother of William Beach above, in 1815. Sarah died 5 Feb 1874 Beachburg, Renfrew Co. Ontario, she and husband buried in Union Cemetery, Beachburg. Children: Chilion (died young), Elizabeth, Abel, John, Nancy, David (died young), Ruth, Hannah, Joseph, Caroline.
10. Nathan (1)
11. Nathan (2) born ca. 1798 Chester, Windsor Co. VT. Md. Sarah Fletcher.
12. Nancy, probably md. David Shoals.