Cerca del contenuto nelle bacheche

John Frederick Luke/Johann Friedrich Luecke--Hessian

John Frederick Luke/Johann Friedrich Luecke--Hessian

Inviato: 14 nov 2003 17.43 GMT
Classificazione: Domanda
Modificato: 7 ago 2004 16.43 GMT
Cognomi: LUKE/STONE
Interested in connecting with descendants of John Frederick Luke, Hessian soldier (originally Johann Friedrich Luecke) of Grosselbe (now Elbe) Duchy of Brunswick (Germany), born ca. 1752, died 15 Dec 1839. Captured after Rev. War battles of Bennington and Saratoga and deserted in 1778. Married Elizabeth (Betsey, Betty) Stone ca. 1778, known to have lived in Windsor County, Vermont from 1783 to 1799, a total of 16 land transactions recorded there, then in New York and finally Province of Ontario, Canada. Family consisted of:
1. John Jr. born 19 Jun 1779 Woodstock, VT, md. Polly Pelton, lived in South Gower, Ontario, Canada but according to 1861 Can. census had returned to US. Known to have had "numerous children" as stated on his peitition for land. Signed Oath of Allegiance 21 Feb 1805. Died 1865.
2. David Luke born 12 Jan 1781 Woodstock VT. Served in Benedidt's Regiment, NY Militia, War of 1812. Unknown if he married but appears on 1810 US census for German Flats, Herkimer Co. NY with 2 males and 1 female aged 16-26 and on 1820 US census alone.
3. Lucy born 5 Oct 1782 Woodstock VT. Md. Gardiner Gustin 5 Jul 1804 German Flats NY. She died 20 Nov 1857 Bath, Steuben Co., NY. Children: John, Lucy, George Washington, Phoebe, Sarah, Lucy, Charles, Ann, GIles. Family appears on 1820 and 1830 censuses for Hamilton Twp, Madison Co. NY. Land records in Madison Co. courthouse in Wampsville NY.
4. Elizabeth born ca. 1784, probably Woodstock VT. Md. Abram (Abraham) Moon. Two children: William and Abraham Willis both born US. Family moved to Osgoode, Russell Co., Ontario, Canada where Elizabeth died 12 Jun 1856. Purchased Lot 36, Conc. 1, Osgoode Twp on 9 Mar 1846.
5. Benjamin born ca. 1786 probably Reading VT. Md. Lydia Fuller. Died young and widow remarried. Children unknown. Census for Hamilton Twp Madison Co. NY shows Benjamin living near John Luke Sr., Levi Luke, Gardiner Gustin and Abraham Moon.
6. Levi born 20 Jan 1788 Reading VT. Md. Silence Brown 12 Jul 1812 Frankfort, NY. Levi died 26 Oct 1854 aged 60 and is buried with many family members in the Amboy Center Cemetery, Oswego Co. NY. It should be noted that a memorial stone to John Luke Sr. and wife Betsey Luke was erected in this cemetery by grandson Lewis D. Luke, Levi's son. Children: Betsey Stone, John, Lewis D., Marcus, Sally, Cynthia and Mary Jane Luke.
7. Abel born 20 Jul 1791/92 Reading, VT. Md. Laura A. Lamphier 1 Sep 1816. Abel died 29 Mar 1856, he and his wife are buried in Rock Creek Cemetery, Morgan Twp., Ashtabula Co., Ohio. Children: Abel L, Albert S., Elijah S. and Mary Elizabeth
8. Hannah born 20 Apr 1794 Reading VT. Md. William Beach in Aug 1822. Family lived in South Gower, Ontario, Canada. Hannah died 7 May 1871, she and husband buried in South Gower Cemetery. Children were Benjamin Frederick, Solomon, George, Hannah, Sanford W. 1851 census for South Gower shows John Luke Sr.'s widow, Betsey Luke, aged 88, born in US, living with dtr. Hannah and family.
9. Sarah born 1796 Reading Vt. Md. David Beach, brother of William Beach above, in 1815. Sarah died 5 Feb 1874 Beachburg, Renfrew Co. Ontario, she and husband buried in Union Cemetery, Beachburg. Children: Chilion (died young), Elizabeth, Abel, John, Nancy, David (died young), Ruth, Hannah, Joseph, Caroline.
10. Nathan (1)
11. Nathan (2) born ca. 1798 Chester, Windsor Co. VT. Md. Sarah Fletcher.
12. Nancy, probably md. David Shoals.
13. George
14. Polly

Re: John Frederick Luke/Johann Friedrich Luecke--Hessian

Inviato: 6 feb 2009 15.05 GMT
Hi, My G-G-grandfather was Heinrich Christian Frederick Luecke, born 1822 in Prussia his mother was Elizabeth?, they came to the U.S. in 1848 married Caroline Winters in 1850 in San Francisco, moved to Brooklyn and Staten Island died abt 1876, don" know of his family in Prussia, any help? Roberta

Inviato: 6 feb 2009 17.57 GMT
Hi Roberta:
My ggggrandfather John Frederick Luke as he became in America came in 1776 to fight for the British in the Amer. Rev. War. That was about 80 years prior to your ancestor coming to America. He came from Brunswick in Germany. I'm not sure where Prussia was in relation to this, or if it became part of modern Germany. It would be interesting to know if there was a connection back in Germany but I think Luecke is a fairly common surname. I have researched John's family into modern times, but there is no evidence of your ancestor in John's many descendants. Do you know the town or city your ancestor came from? If so, you could try for his baptismal record there. I tried in Elbe for John's but they said the records only began in 1819 which is far too late as John was born in 1753 or 1754 according to his age in the military records.

Inviato: 6 feb 2009 18.25 GMT
Where do I go to get his Baptism records?

Inviato: 6 feb 2009 19.31 GMT
If you know what religious denomination he belonged to, you would need to write to the church in the town where he was born and baptized. I don't know much about the German vital statistics, ie, when civil registration began. If you know this, you might be able to obtain a birth certificate from the Vital Records Office. In my case with John Luke, I could not do this so I knew that I would have to look for his baptismal record in the local church which did not work out for me as they only had records from the church that was built in 1819 which was far too late. There must have been a church before this, but I could not find where those records would be. As I mentioned, you need to know the town or city where your ancestor was born, and begin with the church(es) there. There are some books on German immigrants to the USA but I don't have a copy or know of a copy as I live in Canada, and these books would not have been helpful in the case of my German ancestor. In my case, there is an association which helps people to trace these soldiers and connect to the list of German soldiers who did not return to Germany, and it was through these records that we discovered a soldier whose German name was very similar to that of our soldier. Most of these soldiers who remained in America changed their names, some quite dramatically. In the case of our ancestor, it was fairly easy to match him up as the names before and after immigration were very similar. I was advised to write in German to the church and used a form letter which had been developed by the association for this purpose, and the reply came back in German which I had to get a friend to translate, as I am not at all fluent in German. I have not gone further with my research in Germany due to the language barrier, but did write up the life of my ancestor which was put in a journal published by the association dedicated to these soldiers in 2006. Have you tried putting a message on a message board dedicated to German immigrants? Your ancestor appears to have come to America at a time when there was an increase in German immigration to the USA around 1850, and I think there are some resources available for this period but I'm not sure what they are, as my ancestor came far too early for them to be useful to me. You should try "googling" German immigrants and other key words to learn something of the patterns of immigration to the USA. One thing to keep in mind too is that Germany in the mid-1850s was not a unified country but a group of principalities. Germany was not united until around 1870 and there probably is not a central place where you can write for records but you need to try to find where your ancestor originated and start from there. I'm sorry not to be more helpful but I have found German research difficult and the language barrier hasns't helped either.

Inviato: 15 feb 2010 21.40 GMT
Hi Alice, Do you have any information on Abel L. Luke ,who was the grandson of John Frederick Luke. Abel L. Luke married a Caroline Pool. Looking for her parents names. Also was John buried in the state of NY.or in Canada. I've been told that there is a marker in NY..and in Canada. Also would love any other information you have on john and his 14 children thank you Bob

Inviato: 16 feb 2010 5.30 GMT
Hello Bob:
Please contact me at my e-mail address: garnera@nbnet.nb.ca
Alice

Inviato: 11 ago 2012 4.22 GMT
I have been researching my ancestors and I am lucky enough to be close to the area where they lived.
John Frederick Luke is my 4th Great Grandfather-
Levi Luke(1785-1854) My 3rd Great Grandfather-
Marcus E. Luke(1818-?) My 2nd Great Grandfather-
Iva May (Luke) Buck(1878-1946) My Great Grandmother-
Pearl Almeda (Buck)Jones(1914-2005) My Grandmother.
I have been researching Marcus Luke and I am having a hard time finding death/burial records for him. Do you have any additional info on the family?

Inviato: 9 giu 2013 16.14 GMT
David Harris
I have done a lot of research on this family. The information I have on Marcus Luke is that he had only one daughter, Melissa Luke. Melissa wrote a letter to a Canadian cousin stating that she was the only child of Marcus. Can you clarify this please. I have the birth date of Marcus as
Jan. 18, 1819 and his death June 4, 1897. Melissa was born
in 1843 and died in 1867. She married Henry William Farmer and had children Lewis Luke Farmer and Sarah A. Farmer. These dates come from family records compiled by Charles Bertram Luke (1875-1970) who I believe was also a descendant of Levi Luke. I am a descendant of Levi's sister, Sarah.
My e-mail is alicegarner39@gmail.com
I would appreciate hearing from you and exchanging data. In
2006, my article on Johann Friedrich Luecke was published in the journal of the Johannes Schwalm Historical Association.
Alice Garner,
New Brunswick, Canada

Inviato: 9 giu 2013 16.35 GMT
Hello Bob,
Sorry i didn't pick upon your note written in 2010. I do not
have information on the parents of Caroline Pool. Abel L. Luke's parents, Abel Luke and Laura Lamphier moved to Morgan Township, Ashtabula Co., Ohio ca. 1837 according to material that was prepared by their descendants, although their family
was probably born before that time, as the 1830 US census for Carlton, Orleans Co., New York lists Abel and Laura living with 3 sons and 2 daughters. They appear on the 1840 and 1850 censuses for Morgan, Ashtabula Co. Ohio. I will check other material that I have to see if I can add anything helpful.
Alice Garner
Canada
per pagina

Trova una bacheca su un argomento specifico

• Gli altri nostri siti:

© 2007-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookie | Termini e Condizioni | Gestito da Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.