Cerca del contenuto nelle bacheche

Phebe Cunningham

Inviato: 21 mar 2001 12.00 GMT
Classificazione: Domanda
Modificato: 16 feb 2004 16.41 GMT
Cognomi: Cunningham, Girty, McKee, Collins
Phebe Tucker-Cunningham was taken captive in 1785, Bingamon Creek, near Clarksburg, WV. She was kept as a servant for 3 years, Simon Girty & British Agent, Alexander McKee, bartered for her release. Her 4 little ones were killed before they walked her all the way to present day Columbus, OH. She is a double link for me in my family tree. The story is in many books, but my grandmother told it to me, as her mother did her, through the daughters back to Phebe & Thomas's daughter, Rachel Cunningham-Collins. She has been my inspiration all my life. I hope to make all of her story known, as I have 3 different sources on the incident.She was a petite, 5'2", with auburn hair and a beautiful complexion, that may be why they didn't kill her, her hair was Auburn-red. I KNOW she was a strong woman to have survived and then raised another family, who came to Calhoun County, from Smithville, Ritchie Co. after they left Monogalia Co. I have lots more info, if any one is interested.

Phebe Cunningham

Cheryl Bush Richards (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 25 apr 2001 12.00 GMT
Modificato: 4 gen 2004 19.08 GMT
Cognomi: Cunningham, Hardman
This is also my ancestor. I tried to e-mail you but it came back. My line comes through her daughter Sira Leah Cunningham Hardman.

Indian raids & captivity

Susan Snider (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 29 apr 2001 12.00 GMT
Modificato: 20 gen 2004 20.50 GMT
Cognomi: Cunningham, Tucker
Pheobe Tucker-Cunnigham was my most beloeved of anyone I ever knew, as her bravery & endurance was a true test of her faith,I also have many books on the Indian Hostilities In what is now WV,. I have done extensive work in reading& studying the various accounts that were reported, so if anyone had a relative killed, adopted or captive, I have resources for the early Virginia families. Be glad to see if I have yours,,,Susan

Painter ne Bender Captives-1758

Elmer Painter (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 5 giu 2001 12.00 GMT
Modificato: 20 gen 2004 20.43 GMT
Cognomi: Painter, Bender

Do you have any information on captives in Shenandoah Valley
in the summer of 1758. Some 60 people were capture at the Painter ne Bender Farm . Among the captives were Mrs. George Painter, her son Adam and five Painter daughters.
The name Painter is also used as Bender in early records.
In the History of Shenandoah County, Virginia, by John Wayland the name Painter is used refering to the captive family members.

correction: Painter ne Bender

Elmer Painter (Visualizza annunci)
Inviato: 9 giu 2001 12.00 GMT
Classificazione: Biografia
Modificato: 20 gen 2004 20.49 GMT
Cognomi: Painter, Bender
There were 48 captives taken during the raid by French and Indians instead of 60. The number killed during the raid probably accounts for the difference. John George Painter and several infant children were killed at the time of the raid.

Re: Indian raids & captivity

Inviato: 16 lug 2001 17.24 GMT
Modificato: 16 feb 2004 16.45 GMT
Cognomi: Love, Collins
We have an ancestor that went by the name of Rose Ann Love, but she spoke an Indian laguage and had an Indian name. We think she was born around 1842, and was from the Eastern States. Married a Collins and moved to Kansas. We have researched till were blue and have come to a dead end on her. If you have anything at all on her it would be greatly appreciated! We have no early history on her at all. Thanks so much Vickie

Inviato: 16 lug 2001 20.29 GMT
Modificato: 16 feb 2004 16.45 GMT
Cognomi: Collins
I know that Tecumseh's sister marrried a Collins...but I will check with a friend who has that line...any info you can tell will help...contact me at snider_susan@hotmail.com....I will see what i can find...but i also found a Native American site that might be of help....Native-American-Online.org.....I just found it and it has chat and all kinds of things...Let me know...Susan PS I would like to have the county that this all happened in...thanks,

Inviato: 12 gen 2002 1.52 GMT
Modificato: 16 feb 2004 16.47 GMT
Cognomi: Harper, Moser, Peterson
Hi Susan Snider,
Do you have any information on Eva/Eve Elizabeth Harper who was captured by the Shawnee's in 1758 in what is now Upper Branch, Pendleton County, WV. Her probably first husband, Peter Moser, was killed about the same time in a raid on Ft. Seybert, WV in 1758. She is reputed to be one of two survivors taken into captivity by Chief Killbuck and held captive in his village near the present site of Chillicothe, Ohio. She remained a captive until the peace of 1764 after which the Indians surrendered their captives to General Bouquet at Ft. Pitt. Several years after her return she married Jacob Peterson. Does this match your data and do you know anything else about her? Please e-mail me with any thing you find at: mcolleen@plateautel.net
Colleen Yates

Inviato: 13 gen 2002 2.42 GMT
Modificato: 16 feb 2004 16.47 GMT
Cognomi: CUNNINGHAM
I can't find her by any of the names you gave me...but in Wither's "Chronicles of Border Warfare" which gives many Indian captive and killings stories is where I first found the written story of my ggggrandmother, Phebe Cunningham, I had been told the story handed down from the generations of daughters...the WHOLE diaries and journals of the earliest Indian fighters and settlers, were saved and are now at the Wisconsin State Historical Society and only volumes XX & XXI were used by Withers, so that leaves 31 manuscripts that were NOT published!! My ggggrandmother was not captured until 1785 and back home to the graves of her four little ones, but her husband was searching for her and happily reunited...so your capture took place before mine did...wish I could tell you more, but I am sure you are glad to have what information you do have. Too bad the rest of the early VA(now WV) settlers diaries and journals were not kept in WV...so much could be gleaned from them. This info from McWhorter's "Border Settlers of the Northwestern Virginia", his is the most factual book I have ever read about early days of what is now WV...the book is reprinted this year if you would be interested, I know where you can find one...Susan

Inviato: 1 mar 2002 4.09 GMT
Modificato: 16 feb 2004 17.01 GMT
Cognomi: Waggoner
Need info on Tecumseh raid at Hacker's Creek Va. in the year 1792. John Waggoner's family kidnapped. Wife and three of his six children were killed. I have his petition for Revolutionary War pension.
per pagina

Trova una bacheca su un argomento specifico

• Gli altri nostri siti:

© 2007-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookie | Termini e Condizioni | Gestito da Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.