Cerca del contenuto nelle bacheche

Milligan in Hardin County, Illinois

Milligan in Hardin County, Illinois

Inviato: 6 dic 2008 8.50 GMT
Classificazione: Domanda
Cognomi: Milligan, Millikan
I just recently found out that Milligan is not my original family name. However, it was originally Millikan or Millican. My great-grandfather, Arthur Milligan, changed his families name at some point before 1940. I was wondering if anyone had any info. and why.

Re: Milligan in Hardin County, Illinois

Inviato: 12 dic 2008 20.23 GMT
You may want to check records in Kentucky. My grandmother was a Millikan and you are correct they did change the spelling sometimes. Crittenden County, Kentucky is where alot of people in Hardin County came from. I know that the name Cowsert has been spelled different ways (Cousar and Couser)and yet are all related.

Re: Milligan in Hardin County, Illinois

Inviato: 15 feb 2009 15.59 GMT
Cognomi: millikan,milligan
i have asked my grandpa that very same question. his name is loren millikan, his dad was eschol millikan , brother to arthur milligan. the first of us to come from ireland were two brothers who fell in love with the same woman on the ship coming over, they got mad at each other and changed their names. lol this is not true but it sounds good. i have no idea why it was changed but believe it was done so because everyone pronounces it milligan even if it is spelled with a k. hope this confuses you even more. i have cousins in cave in rock and carrier mills that spell it milligan and they tell me its because thats the way it is sounded out in speech. tim millikan dillard
per pagina

Trova una bacheca su un argomento specifico

• Gli altri nostri siti:

© 2007-2014 Ancestry.com | nuovo Privacy | Cookie | Termini e Condizioni | Gestito da Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.